Guidance for CCMs and OVC-related Organizations on Including Children-Related Content in Proposals
Bernard RiversArticle Type:
Article Number: 2
ABSTRACT An excerpt from the new Aidspan Guide provides guidance for CCMs and OVC-related organizations on helping ensure that future proposals to the Global Fund incorporate content related to orphans and other vulnerable children (OVC).
[The following text is excerpted from Chapter 5 of “The Aidspan Guide to Developing Global Fund Proposals to Benefit Children Affected by HIV/AIDS.”]
Suggestions to CCMs to help ensure that future proposals to the Global Fund incorporate content related to orphans and other vulnerable children (OVC):
- Include a representative of organisations providing services to OVC (or working on OVC issues) on the CCM.
- Ensure that CCM members are familiar with issues concerning children affected by HIV/AIDS. Invite someone with knowledge of these issues to make a presentation to the CCM. Review some of the reports that have been written on these issues. In countries where OVC-specific strategic planning has been done, review the outcomes of this process, including OVC National Plans of Action.
- Ensure that OVC-related organisations and lead government ministries dealing with children’s issues receive information concerning the CCM’s proposal development process.
- Ensure that OVC-related organisations and lead government ministries dealing with children’s issues are included in the call for submissions for possible inclusion in the CCM’s Global Fund proposal.
- Consider including representation from OVC-related organisations on the team that reviews submissions from stakeholders.
Suggestions to OVC-related organisations to help ensure that future proposals to the Global Fund incorporate OVC content:
- Make sure that addressing the needs of children affected by HIV/AIDS is one of the priorities of the national HIV/AIDS strategy.
- Cultivate relationships with CCM members.
- Attempt to convince the CCM to include a representative from OVC-related organisations or lead Government ministries dealing with children’s issues on the CCM.
- Attempt to educate CCM members about issues concerning children affected by HIV/AIDS. Use international and national NGOs already sitting on the CCM as a conduit.
- Lobby the CCM to ensure that OVC-related organisations and lead Government ministries dealing with children’s issues receive information about the proposal development process and are involved in the process.
- Make the argument to the CCM that HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria are dramatically contributing to child vulnerability and, therefore, that it is entirely appropriate for the resources of the Global Fund to be used to address these heightened vulnerabilities.
Suggestions to OVC-related organisations concerning how to contribute to the development of proposals to the Global Fund:
- Become familiar with the Global Fund proposals development process.
- Develop a process to ensure that one joint submission is tendered to the CCM on behalf of all OVC-related organisations and lead Government ministries dealing with children’s issues.
- Do not wait for the call for submissions from the CCM to begin preparing your submission.
- Wherever possible, base your submission on OVC-specific strategic planning that has already taken place in-country, including the OVC National Plans of Action.
- Review previous submissions and proposals, OVC National Plans of Action, and guidance documents produced by the Global Fund and Aidspan, for guidance on the format to be used for your submissions.
- Ensure that your submission describes any technical assistance that is required to successfully implement your programme.