Global Fund Board Decision Points
Article Number: 2
Only three DPs for this 49th Board meeting
In this, our first article on the 49th meeting of the Global Fund Board, we bring you a summary of the Decision Points approved by the Board. There were only three, as a controversy over the Global Fund's engagement with the Pandemic Fund resulted in a decision point being deferred so the matter could be discussed at July's Strategy Committee meeting.
Board Decision Point GF/B49/DP03: 2023-2028 KPI Framework adjustments
The Board notes the recommendations of the Audit and Finance Committee (“AFC”) as set forth in GF/AFC21/EDP02, and the Strategy Committee (“SC”) as set forth in GF/SC21A/DP01, and:
- Approves the adjustments to the 2023-2028 Key Performance Indicator (“KPI”) Framework (including each KPI) as set forth in GF/B49/03 Annex 2;
- Notes that proposed material changes to a KPI (refer to GF/B49/03 Annex 1 for the approach to assessing materiality) will continue to be recommended by the AFC or SC, within their respective allocated responsibilities (each a “Relevant Committee”) (as set forth in Annex 2 section 2.2 of GF/AFC20/09 and Annex 2 section 2.1 of GF/SC20/05 revision 2), for Board approval; and
- Delegates authority to the Secretariat, in consultation with the Relevant Committee Chair and Vice Chair, to make non-material KPI adjustments, in line with GF/B49/03 Annex 1, and report back to the Relevant Committees and Board on all such changes.
Budgetary implications (included in, or additional to, OPEX budget)
This decision has no budgetary implications.
Recommendation on Amendments to Risk Appetite Statements
Decision Point: GF/B49/DP04: Amended Risk Appetite Statements
1. The Board:
- recalls its ultimate responsibility to the Global Fund’s stakeholders for overseeing the implementation of effective risk management;
- affirms the Strategy Committee’s concurrence with the amended Risk Appetite Statements under such committee’s oversight, as reported to the Audit and Finance Committee; and
- furtheraffirmstheAuditandFinanceCommittee’sconcurrencewiththeamended Risk Appetite Statements under such committee’s oversight and integration of the Strategy Committee’s concurrence, as set forth in Annex 1 to GF/AFC21/06 and pursuant to decision point GF/AFC21/DP01.
2. Based upon the recommendation of the Audit and Finance Committee, the Board approves the amended Risk Appetite Statements, including risk appetite and timeframes to achieve target risk, as set forth in the table in Annex 1 to GF/B49/04, acknowledging that the target risk level for each risk shall become the revised risk appetite at the target due date, or when earlier achieved.
3. This decision point and the amended Risk Appetite Statements approved by it shall supersede decision point GF/B46/DP05 (November 2021).
Appreciation of Outgoing Chair and Vice-Chair of the Board
Decision Point GF/B49/DP05: Appreciation of Outgoing Chair and Vice-Chair of the Board
The Board expresses its deep appreciation to Dr Donald Kaberuka for his leadership as Chair of the Board. Over his time working with the Global Fund, he has driven strong engagement for the Global Fund at the most senior levels, provided strategic direction including during a prolonged period of virtual governance, and demonstrated clear commitment to the work of the Global Fund.
The Board also expresses sincere gratitude to Lady Roslyn Morauta for her leadership as Vice-Chair of the Board. She has served the Global Fund with passion and dedication and continues to show her personal conviction for the mission of the Global Fund by her willingness to continue as the incoming Chair of the Board. During her tenure as Vice-Chair, Lady Roslyn Morauta has been an active leader and a strong advocate for the Global Fund and the communities we serve.
During their tenure, Dr Kaberuka and Lady Morauta presided over strategy deliberations and decisions that will continue to shape the future of the Global Fund under its new strategy. Together, they have contributed to strengthening relations among Global Fund stakeholders. Their contribution will have a lasting impact on the Global Fund.
The Board wishes Dr Kaberuka every success in the future and bestows upon him the honorary title of Chair Emeritus. The Board welcomes Lady Roslyn Morauta into her new role, and looks forward to her tenure, as Chair of the Board.