The full absorption of grants is currently a top priority for the Global Fund and its recipient countries. This year marks the last year of grant implementation for 70% of active grants; the remaining 30% of the Global Fund’s grants will end in 2021 or 2022.
You are here
French-speaking African countries not on track in spending their Global Fund grants from 2017-2019 allocation period
Global Fund Board approves additional funding worth $57.9 million through portfolio optimization, for grants in five countries
The Global Fund Board has approved $57.9 million to finance interventions listed on the Register of Unfunded Quality Demand (UQD) for existing grants in five countries: Algeria (HIV), Ethiopia (TB), Ghana (malaria), Nigeria (TB), and Uzbekistan (TB) grants. The additional funding comes from the reallocation of unutilized funds from other existing Global Fund grants to other countries, termed ‘portfolio optimization’.
Global Fund has allocated an additional $43.3 million to existing grants in several countries for 'portfolio optimization'
On 27 September 2019, by electronic vote, the Global Fund Board approved funding for interventions from the Register of Unfunded Quality Demand (UQD) valued at $46.4 million for nine grants in five countries (see Table). Most of the funds for these awards come from a portfolio-optimization exercise that was carried out in April 2019 for the 2017-2019 allocation cycle.
As of 1 July 2019, the Technical Review Panel (TRP) has completed its reviews of funding requests for the 2017-2019 allocations and has issued recommendations covering all of the funds available for country allocation ($10.3 billion); all of the matching funds that were subject to TRP review ($313 million); and all of the funds earmarked for multi-country grants ($260 million).
On 16 August 2019, by electronic vote, the Global Fund Board approved funding for three country grants worth $32.7 million (Colombia HIV, Honduras TB/HIV and Kazakhstan TB). Domestic commitments for the programs included in the approved country grants amounted to $1.17 billion. Initiatives valued at $2.4 million were added to the Unfunded Quality Demand (UQD) Register. (See Table 1.)
On 24 July 2019, the Global Fund Board approved funding in the amount of $18.0 million from the 2017-2019 allocations for several interventions on the Unfunded Quality Demand (UQD) Register. The funds will be added to three existing country grants and one existing multi-country grant. The sources of these funds are portfolio optimization and a private sector contribution. (See Table 1 below.)
Global Fund Board approves new country and multi-country grants along with interventions on UQD Register
On 13 May 2019, the Global Fund Board approved, by electronic vote, funding for five country grants having a total value of $25.2 million. Domestic commitments for the programs included in the approved country grants amounted to $937.9 million. The five country grants were for four countries: Gabon, Georgia, Peru and Serbia. The largest award ($9.3 million) was for a Georgia HIV grant. (See Table 1 for details.)
On 22 February 2019, the Global Fund Board approved one multi-country grant, one matching funds request and one set of interventions on the Unfunded Quality Demand (UQD) Register –– worth a total of $16.0 million. The Board was acting on the recommendations of the Technical Review Panel (TRP) and the Grant Approvals Committee (GAC). This was the 17th batch of approvals from the 2017–2019 allocations.